Let Cooksy take the guesswork out of candy making with these irresistible caramels!
See the recipe in the Cooksy Companion App
Don't have a cooksy yet? You need one to follow this recipe.
- 11x7 baking dish
- Parchment paper
- Dutch oven or heavy-bottom pan
- Sturdy rubber spatula
- 1 c butter
- 2 1/4 c packed light brown sugar
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c light corn syrup
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- pinch sea salt
- Line a lightly greased 11x7 baking dish with parchment paper (leave extra to create "handles" to remove from pan when ready.
- Preheat to 159°F
- Add 1 c butter to pan
- Add 2 1/4 c packed light brown sugar to pan
- Add 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk to pan
- Add 1/2 tsp salt to pan
- Add 1 c light corn syrup to pan
- Stir ingredients
- As the mixture heats, stir frequently, making sure to scrape bottom of pan.
- Note: If caramelized brown bits surface from the bottom of the pan, don't worry. Just continue to stir, & they will dissolve.
- Add 1 t pure vanilla extract to pan
- Stir until smooth and most of the bubbles are gone.
- Allow to cool for at least 4 hours.
- After about 30 minutes, sprinkle with sea salt.
- After 4 hours, remove caramels from pan and cut into desired size pieces with a buttered knife.
- Roll individual pieces with wax paper and twist ends to seal.