Nothing beats fresh donuts made at home. Takes some upfront work but totally worth it.
See the recipe in the Cooksy Companion App
Don't have a cooksy yet? You need one to follow this recipe.
- Mixer with hook attachment
- Large bowl to rest dough
- Two small bowls
- 1" cutter
- 3" cutter
- Cutting board
- Rolling pin
- 3 qt nonstick saucepan
- Heat proof slotted spoon
- Yeast Mixture
- 1-1/4 c whole milk- warm
- 3 T sugar- 1 Tbsp with milk and 2 Tbsp with dry ingredients
- 2-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 eggs- cracked in bowl of mixer and lightly beat
- 1 1/4 stick of butter- unsalted and melted
- 4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 32 oz canola oil- for frying
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp merigue powder
- 5 Tbsp water- warm additional water maybe needed for consistency that you want
- Measure ingredients. Set aside.
- Activate Yeast Mix - In a small bowl, combine warm milk and 1 Tbsp of the sugar. Let it bloom (sprinkle over the milk mixture until it starts to soak and activate). About 15 minutes or when you start to see it bubble.
- Wet ingredients - Once yeast has activated, place in a mixer along with melted butter & beaten eggs. Combine with hook attachment.
- In a medium bowl add flour and remaining sugar plus salt. Combine. Then slowly add in a 1/4 of the dry mixture into the wet mixture. Mix then add the next 1/4 portion of the dry ingredients until all of the dry mixture is added in. Mix on medium setting until a soft ball forms.
- Place dough ball into a lightly oiled large bowl and cover for about two hours or when it doubles in size.
- After dough has doubled in size - “Punch” the dough as to pop it and flatten on a floured board. Cut in half or 3rds to work in manageable pieces. Roll dough about 1/2” thick and cut 3” circles and then the 1” holes. Let sit on the cutting board for 15 minutes before frying.
- Save the inside of donuts to make donut holes
- Place oil into saucepan. Place on stovetop.
- Preheat to 338°F
- Carefully add one cut donut into the hot oil
- Flip ingredients
- Carefully remove donut
- Repeat cooking instructions until donuts are all cooked.
- Place donut on a baking rack.
- Iced Sprinkle Donuts - In a small bowl add powdered sugar, merigue powder and warm water. Combine well. Add more warm water if icing is too thick You want it to be able to stick on donuts and run on the sides a little. Dip the top of donut into icing then lift out. Sprinkle sprinkles before icing sets.
- Sugared Donuts - add sugar to a small bowl and roll warm donuts into the sugar.
- Enjoy donut when warm and fresh.