Creamy Make-ahead Mashed Potatoes
Delightfully creamy side dish that can be made ahead of time
See the recipe in the Cooksy Companion App
Don't have a cooksy yet? You need one to follow this recipe.
- Large pot or dutch oven
- Sauce pan
- Potato ricer
- 5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes - peeled and diced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 4 oz cream cheese- cubed
- 1 c sour cream
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- Peel and dice potatoes into even chunks.
- Add 5 lbs Yukon gold potatoes to pan
- Add enough cold water to cover potatoes and inch or two above the potatoes
- Bring potatoes to a boil
- Continue boiling
- While potatoes are boiling, place saucepan on burner and turn on heat
- Add 3 Tbsp butter to saucepan
- Add 1/2 c heavy cream to saucepan
- Add 4 oz cream cheese to saucepan
- Add 1 c sour cream to saucepan
- Add 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp onion salt, and 1 tsp minced garlic to saucepan
- Stir ingredients
- Note: Stir liquid mixture occasionally as it melts until fully combined
- Test a potato to make sure it is fork tender.
- Drain potatoes very thoroughly in colander, leaving heat on (will return potatoes to pot after draining).
- Return drained potatoes to pot and allow to cook for a couple minutes (allowing extra moisture to cook out).
- Stir potatoes and cook to remove excess moisture
- Hold potato ricer over pot and run potato chunks through ricer until they have reached desired consistency
- Pour cream mixture into potatoes
- Stir until fully combined and creamy
- If you are not serving immediately or wish to make ahead, you can store them in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. Before serving, place back in a pot, add a little bit of butter and heavy cream. Stir and heat through.